Welcome to One of the Top Research Universities in the Nation
About Case Western Reserve University
As one of the nation’s top research universities, Case Western Reserve University is ranked among both U.S. News & World Report’s list of the top 50 best universities in the nation and the Times Higher Education’s top 50 best colleges in the United States.
About the Case School of Engineering
With a strong history of producing leading professionals, organizations and companies, the Case School of Engineering is renowned for its innovative approaches to technology. Our programs provide students with challenging coursework from professors with expertise in research and innovation. Now, the school proudly offers four cutting-edge, highly ranked graduate degrees in engineering 100 percent online.
Who studies online at CWRU?
It probably won’t come as a surprise that 75 percent of students who enroll in an online master’s program at the Case School of Engineering already earned an undergraduate degree in engineering. Case Western Reserve online students are driven to succeed and choose CWRU for its reputation as one of the top research universities, or because they want to advance their careers. In addition, many online students possess a strong desire to help others through medical engineering.
CWRU Online Students – By the Numbers
- 28 – average student age
- 6.4 – average years of work experience
- 13% have an advanced degree
- 34% Ohio residents
- 36% female
- 64% male
Top 3 Industries Where Students Are Employed (Reported):
Our students have been employed at companies and organizations such as Amazon, Ford, GE, NASA, the U.S. Navy and Thermo Fisher.
NOTE: Statistics are based on cumulative self-reported CWRU Student Profile Data collected from all cohorts between 2016 and 2018.
Making Our Case: Rankings and Accreditations
Internationally renowned for more than 130 years, the Case School of Engineering is dedicated to innovation and is consistently ranked among the best engineering schools in the nation. Here are a handful of our rankings and accolades:
U.S. News & World Report Rankings
- #42 National University1
- #42 Best Value School1
- #52 Best Engineering Graduate School2
- #18 in Biomedical Engineering (Graduate School)2
- #30 in Materials Engineering (Graduate School)2
- #41 in Industrial/Manufacturing/Systems Engineering (Graduate School)2
- #43 in Mechanical Engineering (Graduate School)2
Additional Rankings, Accolades and Credentials
- #39 Best U.S. College by the Times Higher Education3
- One of Reuters Top 100 Most Innovative Universities4
- 6 Case Western Reserve alumni have made Forbes Magazine’s list of 30 under 30 innovators and leaders since 20125
- Since 2012, CWRU LaunchNet has helped more than 500 students and alumni research and start enterprises
- Member of the Association of American Universities
- Fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges
Case Western Reserve University Notable Alumni – Case School of Engineering
Our graduates have gone on to work for some of the world’s foremost companies across a multitude of engineering specializations, and both our current students and alumni continue to turn heads and receive praise for their contributions to the industry.
Case Western Reserve University notable alumni include:
- Paul Buchheit ’98, Google Employee #23 and Creator of Gmail
- Chi-Foon Chan ’74, ’77, President and Co-CEO of Synopsys, Inc.
- Herbert H. Dow 1888, Founder of Dow Chemical
- Robert J. Herbold ’66, ’68, Executive Vice President and COO of Microsoft Corporation (Retired)
- Laura Flanagan ’90, President and CEO of Foster Farms
- Alexander Kummant ’82, Former President and CEO of Amtrak
- Rafael Carbunaru ’96, ’99, Vice President of Research and Development at Boston Scientific
- Lilip Lau ’89, Inventor of the Guidant/Abbott Multi-link Stent Platform
- Craig Newmark ’75, ’77, Founder of craigslist
- William Delano ’74, General Manager of Chesterton Mexicana
- Frank Rudy ’50, Inventor of the Nike Air Sole
- Andrew Witte ’09, Inventor of the Pebble Watch
- Myra Dria ’76, President and CEO of Pearl Resources
- Afzal Tarar ’91, Chair and Managing Partner at Arcis Capital Partners
- Hang Loi ’88, Project Manager/Senior Specialist Engineer at 3M
- Felipe Gomez del Campo ’16, Founder and CEO of FGC Plasma Solutions
An In to the Industry: Our Research and Industry Partnerships
Our research is informed by the 270+ partnerships we hold with exceptional institutions and industries in the region. These partnerships provide Case Western Reserve with more than $330 million in research funding per year, which allows our students to access our faculty’s advanced knowledge, tools and technology in their academic pursuits.6
Our partnerships include the following, among many others:
- NASA Glenn Research Center
- University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Cleveland Clinic
- Johnson & Johnson
- FirstEnergy Corp.
- General Electric
Learn more about our online graduate engineering programs.
- Retrieved on May 20, 2019, from colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/case-western-reserve-university-3024/overall-rankings
- Retrieved on May 20, 2019, from usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/case-western-reserve-university-201645/overall-rankings
- Retrieved on May 20, 2019, from timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/case-western-reserve-university#ranking-dataset/596947
- Retrieved on May 20, 2019, from reuters.com/article/us-amers-reuters-ranking-innovative-univ/reuters-top-100-the-worlds-most-innovative-universities-2018-idUSKCN1ML0AZ
- Retrieved on May 20, 2019, from engineering.case.edu/news/engineering-student-makes-forbes-30-under-30-list
- Retrieved on May 20, 2019, from case.edu/cwruresearch/