Online Master's in Mechanical Engineering
Case Western Reserve is a premier engineering institution, ranked as a Top 50 Best School for Mechanical Engineering by U.S. News & World Report.1 The mission of our university is to improve and enrich lives through scholarship and learning, and that starts with our students and graduates. The same expert faculty who teach on campus provide our online students with a rich and engaging curriculum in a convenient digital environment.
What is the Program Like?
The online MS in Mechanical Engineering degree can be completed in as few as 18 months. Some students work while they study, and the access-from-anywhere coursework gives students flexible study options that complement their personal schedules. From wherever they are, from any connected device, students learn how to work on solutions to solve some of society's most important problems.
The curriculum for this degree consists of 10 courses, or 30 credit hours:
- 8 required courses for all students
- 2 of 3 technical electives chosen from other engineering disciplines
Students earning the online MS in Mechanical Engineering can choose electives from a wide variety of areas, including systems and control, biomedical and civil engineering courses.
Benefits of the Online Mechanical Engineering Program
You may be a working engineering professional, or you may have always had an interest in engineering, math and science but didn't head straight into the field. Whatever your reason, getting a master’s in mechanical engineering online is desirable for a wide variety of students who want to earn a degree on their own time from a reputable school, without having to relocate or leave their job to study.
Case Western Reserve's online master’s in mechanical engineering program provides the following benefits:
- Study anytime, anywhere. No longer are you restricted to heading to class at a certain time. Maybe you do your best work late at night or early in the morning. Make class work on your time
- Get greater access to teachers and other students. Small classes and an online format make it easy for students to connect with professors and peers. Unlike large classes at some universities, where it's difficult to get one-on-one time with an instructor, professors in our online MS in Mechanical Engineering program are available for students when they need them
- Collaborate with students from all over the world. Case Western Reserve's online program attracts some of the most intelligent engineering minds from around the globe. Network with new business connections and gain the industry know-how you need to go after your dream career
The world of mechanical engineering is exciting because of the constant technological developments impacting it. Learn from passionate professors and gain the most up-to-date skills you need to become a leading manager or researcher in your field.
We are delighted to share a scholarship toward this degree for those who qualify. Visit our tuition page to learn more.
In addition to prior education showing proficiency in engineering, math and science subjects, students are required to submit:
- Online application
- Two letters of recommendation
- $50 application fee
- Transcripts from all universities attended
- GRE scores*
*Due to COVID-19 concerns, we have temporarily suspended the GRE requirement.
There are three starts to the program: Spring, Summer and Fall, so students can begin throughout the year at a time that makes sense for their schedule. Learn more about the admissions requirements for the online MS in Mechanical Engineering degree here.
Get More Information About the Online Master’s in Mechanical Engineering
If you want a more fulfilling career in mechanical engineering, you've come to the right place. We're constantly evolving our mechanical engineering programs to provide the best education for our students.
Talk with an Admissions Advisor today about how an online MS in Mechanical Engineering can benefit you. Call 855-500-3840 for more information, or request a brochure.
Message from the Program Director
"Welcome to the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering online degree program. Our department has a rich history of research and teaching in areas such as fluid mechanics, combustion science, biologically inspired robotics, aerospace engineering, experimental and computational solid mechanics, biomechanics, bio-manufacturing and engineering for extreme conditions. Our faculty brings this expertise and experience to the teaching of the courses in our online curriculum.
This online master’s program will prepare you with the fundamental tools and expertise necessary to open up a wide variety of possibilities in your current career or as you take your next career step.
We look forward to working with you and welcoming you to our program.”